Club Arnage
June 24, 2024, 02:48:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help from America Please?  (Read 4896 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2007, 11:13:24 am »

Hi all,

Just after a little help from someone in the States please, at this stage just to find out the cost of purchasing a crossflow cylinder head for my MGA from the company that makes them in the USA and getting it shipped to the UK. 

Anyone able to help, please PM me and I'll let you have the details.   Thanks in advance,

MG Mark   

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:22:26 am »

I thought Amazing Randy was doing car parts (dunno if it's only American parts though), try him!

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

Why don't you put a 5 bearing B engine in it (with a crossflow head)? Much better engine and easier to get the parts in the UK. Just a thought.
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:35:53 am »

How about this one? http://britishmiles.com/parts/mga-mgb-performance.html
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 11:39:36 am »

Why don't you put a 5 bearing B engine in it (with a crossflow head)? Much better engine and easier to get the parts in the UK. Just a thought.

Pieter,

A good thought and one that has crossed the mind before, but the crossflow head in question is common to both the 1622cc original engine that is in my car and with the 1798cc MGB engine.  I rebuilt the original engine when I restored the car, so I know what went into it and it is in good shape, plus with what I am planning to do with the car, which is to indulge in some sprinting and hillclimbing, I would want to keep to the 1622cc engine as it is freer-revving and may need to keep to it to remain within class regulations.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 11:44:11 am »

Let me try my MG sources and see what I can come up with.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:49:09 am »

That's exactly the head I'm looking for - and I hadn't found that link as potential suppliers, so thanks for that.  What I had found was Pierce manifolds  http://www.piercemanifolds.com/cylinderheads.htm
and it was they who I was looking to get sommeone in the USA to get a quote on my behalf; they are the main distributors and only refer me to their UK agents rather than giving me a quote for purchase and shipping direct from them

MG Mark

nickliv
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:03:05 pm »

If you can get someone over there to buy it, and send it to you 'as a gift' you'll stand a reasonable chance of circumventing import duty. Maybe the Us/UK bit of DFH might be a better bet, plenty of our colonial brethren on there most days.
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 02:27:40 pm »

My MG source, who happens to be my brother also, says you might want to rethink the alloy crossflow head, because apparently they bend easily. It'll be fast, but it won't always finish.

Also, he gave me some links that might come in handy.
http://www.britishclassiccarspares.com/acatalog/Online_Parts_List_PERFORMANCE_PARTS_57.html
http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/HRG.html
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C18547?pt=pf
http://www.cottageclassics.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1931&sid=67926211e73f1669f93616e42a1b833b
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 08:19:46 pm »

Found out what the approximate weight is [US lbs.].I use the US Postal service and would be happy to ship it for you.

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:10:48 pm »

I hate to hit you all with the negative waves, but since when did an aluminum head make a car go faster, and since when were MGA parts made in the States and not somewhere like Dudley. Shocked

Boys toys Cool

No sign of a twin cam head then?

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 10:29:41 pm »

Lorry, I havent spoken to Mark about this but the "holy Grail" for us siamesed inlet port guys is one port per inlet so we can get better gasflowing through the valves.

More biggerer carbs or multiple injection if necessary too.

Marks "A" and Gary and my Spridgets would just lurve four inlets like more modern engine designs.

How'm I doing Mark?

I'd love a cheapo one for my Midget... Cool

Bill

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 10:44:26 pm »

Sorry, I'd missed the word "crossflow".

I just think its funny that they're made in the States.  I thought all the "A"s had been shipped back here.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 09:58:39 am »

Sorry, I'd missed the word "crossflow".

I just think its funny that they're made in the States.  I thought all the "A"s had been shipped back here.

Bill is spot on - a Derrington head is indeed the Holy Grail.  I need something to keep up with Lara, Gary's Frogeye and Bob's injected Midget at the next Marham track day.....

The originals were made in UK by HRG Derrington for the B Series engines from 1489cc up to 1798cc, with a different version for the A Series.  The crossflow design adds around 15-20% extra bhp and more torque before you do anything else. like putting in a bigger/longer lift camshaft or putting on different carbs, and it is that which makes the difference, through having separate inlet ports for each pot, and through the mixture that goes bang not having to reverse direction to get out of the head.  Add on bigger carbs, either 1 3/4 inch SUs or preferably twin Webers, and the bhp goes up by around 30% over the original.   Indeed though, it is ironic that they are now made in the USA.....

MG Mark

garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 11:09:19 am »

Not so surprising really with most of the cars being exported over there, many being raced and the USA's history of street rodding, machine/tuning shops on every corner and longer straighter roads.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: