Club Arnage
July 07, 2024, 06:29:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips for my Italy Trip?  (Read 7847 times)
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 04:19:23 am »

Hi Neil,
       That looks like a scene from Star Trek. Beam me up Scotty Roll Eyes
Phil
suthvid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 04:08:13 pm »

Hello and thanks to all. I am in Rome for my work, all my gear make it through customs and its a beautiful day in a beautiful city. I think Monza is too far given the time I have so I will probably opt for the Maranello trip. I will try to spend some time in Maranello "drinking, watching the world go by, looking at women, drinking..."

Great idea taking the old national road, being on the same road as traveled by Moss and countless others, even in a crappy little rental will be a thrill.  Now that was Road Racing!  Not sure I can drive and shoot without falling off the road but I'll see what I can do.  Any significant spots on that road or any other places in the area? I will do my best to make a little travel film for Sebring. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming!
John
suthvid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 10:45:07 pm »

Mark,
Any tips for finding that road?  I've been studying the map and searching the web for a map of the route.
John
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 12:26:16 pm »

Mark,
Any tips for finding that road?  I've been studying the map and searching the web for a map of the route.
John

John,

Find the A1/E35 motorway that connnects Bologna and Firenze - the route you want is the SS65, which runs in the hillls to the east of that.  It is signed as the SS65 in some parts and the SP65 is others.  Village names along the route (runing north to south) are the likes of Riolo, Zula, La Posta, Covigliaio, Montecarelli, Le Maschere, Cafaggiolo, Vaglia, Pratolino.  That's the Mille Miglia route, and it will lead you over the Raticosa and Futa passes into Firenze.  The Italian auto club maps have the two passes actually marked as "Passo della Futa" and "Passo della Raticosa".  Hope you find it OK,

Mark 

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 01:34:39 pm »

I'm with Pieter on Siena and Firenze, but I would add in a few other stops. A nice little 500 mile jaunt stopping at Orvieto, Montepulciano,Cortona, Arezzo
Firenze, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano, Siena and home again. There are fabulous roads and passes throughout Tuscany plus San Gim is breathtaking.

Rusty

The Brethren Rock
gab
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 08:10:24 am »

Agree with Rusty and Pieter here, these are some great places to visit but could spend easily 2 days in each. Recommend doing Rusty`s route in a 2 seat open top sports car with accommodating weather.
suthvid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 11:54:41 pm »

A quick update on my trip.  I was late arriving to Maranello (Italian road signs SUCK!!!) so I spent Thursday doing the Ferrari thing.  Very Cool. Luca Badoer was doing some testing.  My wake alarm was the sound of a Ferrari v8 at full soung. Extremely cool. Museum was fantastic.  Brilliant as you brits say!!  A full report (with pictures) to follow.

Alas, the Mille Miglle trip will have to be another time.

Thanks for everyones input!

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: