Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 01:23:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heatwave to end in storms?  (Read 7624 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 08:56:12 pm »

Storms? You want to hear about storms?
Central FL is the lightning storm capital of the world. Todays 'boomers' are starting as I punch this out. Yesterday dropped nearly 3" of rain in less than an hour and 9200 lightning strikes were recorded in the WESH2 tv viewing area in under 3 hours. I love it - blasting heat, biblical downpour, blasting heat.
Make the most of your sultry weather and nature's spectacular lightshows, you moaning gits! I dunno - there's no pleasing the British when it comes to the weather. Don't worry, it'll soon be back to grey drizzle for the next 11 months.
Jeeeezus, what are you all like?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 09:25:20 pm »

Your right Matt your storms are very impressive - we only got about 5 miles out of Orlando Airport last year and had a huge deluge, then later in the week one particular evening was awsome, I think Brad got some pics of that as well. But as you say, 10 mins later back to searing heat.
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 09:47:04 pm »

It's a bit like Sebring vs. LeMans. Half as long but twice as hard here right now.  Grin

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 10:12:07 pm »

It's a bit like Sebring vs. LeMans. Half as long but twice as hard here right now.  Grin

That's funny! Although our very own Fax regailed me with a classic sportscar quote - I don't know who's, which was along the lines of, "The trouble with 24 hour races is that they are about 12 hours too long".

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 10:20:58 pm »

Your right Matt your storms are very impressive - we only got about 5 miles out of Orlando Airport last year and had a huge deluge, then later in the week one particular evening was awsome, I think Brad got some pics of that as well. But as you say, 10 mins later back to searing heat.

Hi Ian - yup summertime is rainy here - but we need it - and it clears the air when it thumps it down on a daily basis. I do like to partake of a little lake fishing when my work schedule allows - trouble is, being out on my boat in the middle of a lake, waving my lightning conductor around, can be somewhat hazardous to the old eyebrows, which sucks, because the fish are much more active when the weather is roiling above.
Death by lightning strike occurs in this state more than anywhere else in continental US - but then again, it may just be God letting Floridians know that he's not right happy about the FEMA fraud that goes on down here.
Now don't get me started on hurricanes. We're moving into the high risk season now - and last year they said '06 was going to be ugly from a 'cane standpoint. Searing heat, colossal rain, humidity off the scale and melting tarmac, I can live and be happy with. Hurricanes ain't funny. 

Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 12:34:42 am »

Matt,

You'd NEVER hear me complain about an electric storm.... the spontenaity of the whole thing fascinates me - its awkward to photograph, and highly unpredictable... The spectacle of that much energy building completely naturally is awesome.

Agreed about hurricanes - i was over when Hurricane Jeanne hit...I was fine with the whole situation until the owner called to say  "if you hear a noise that sounds like a train, thats a tornado - hide in the...."  then the line went dead....

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 04:10:17 am »

Hey Brad
Hope you didn't think I was dissing your pic - no way, no day - fantastic image. Am I on crack or did I read somewhere that the lightning bolt actually travels from ground upwards rather than from the clouds downwards - or am I really on crack?

Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 06:31:44 am »

I was fine with the whole situation until the owner called to say  "if you hear a noise that sounds like a train, thats a tornado - hide in the...."  then the line went dead....

That's funny!  Grin  Grin  Grin
Fax
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 08:19:23 am »

Growing up in the midwest US your told from a very young age that if the sky goes purple, the wind suddenly stops, your ears pop from a sudden drop in pressure and you hear a train...Something really horrible is about to happen!
On my Grandfathers farm about twenty years ago watched a F2 tornado roll across the horizon from west to east.  f**k*ng Impressive!  The flashes on the horizon were from high tension lines being shredded like knitting wool.
Fax
fagey
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 09:02:34 am »

Hey Brad
Hope you didn't think I was dissing your pic - no way, no day - fantastic image. Am I on crack or did I read somewhere that the lightning bolt actually travels from ground upwards rather than from the clouds downwards - or am I really on crack?

Yup.. it goes upwards Grin

Andy Grin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: