Club Arnage
September 28, 2024, 11:01:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival of Speed - End of the Golden Era?  (Read 5679 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2007, 07:00:50 pm »

Having "conveniently" engineered a meeting in Bognor Regis at 9am this morning, I then toddled along to Goodwood to enjoy another Festival of Speed. Not having been for a couple of years, I have to say I was very disappointed, the event isn't like it used to be.

Firstly, the event has grown much bigger than previously, and it's much more commercial. There's corporate sponsorship everywhere, even the classic car concours is sponsored by Cartier. It never used to be like this, not back in the good old days. I was similarly disappointed that you can't get so close to the track as you used to be able to see the cars. Actually this doesn't matter so much as I've already seen most of this year's cars at Goodwood over the years. You'd think they'd be able to get something new for us to look at, I'm sick of bloody Group C, F1 and this years Le Mans winning cars are always there, Audi and Aston this time. I've just watched them all bloody weekend, what the hell do I want to see them again for?  And they can stick their CanAm cars too. Sad As for the drivers, well Dullsville AZ, Attwood, Bell, Moss, Mass, Andretti, Fittipaldi, Mikkola, Hamilton, Hill, Hopkirk, I could go on, but they're all old hat has-beens, get someone else for God's sake!

I was also appalled by some of the people who attended. There were some awful people drinking near a bar (which have proliferated by the way) and they had no shirts on. They seemed quite roudy, I'm sure they'd been drinking lager. I mean, why is cold lager and cider on sale at Goodwood? I was aghast! I also saw some rough looking fellows with football shirts on! They looked as if they might be common, as there were some tradesmens vans in the carpark. What on earth is the world coming to? It's just more lowered standards, we'll sink into a mass of chavs, benefits cheques and White Lightening Cider at this rate.

As for the weather, it's a disgrace too. It rained for a while, maybe 15 mins and this ruinned my day as I had no jacket or brolly with me. It's all Lord March's fault and no mistake.

Anyway, the price of the tickets is ridiculous (free) as is the car parking (free) and the shuttle buses (free), all in all a complete let down and a waste of my day. I won't be going next year.  Angry Sad
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 07:04:00 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 07:31:11 pm »

You old bullsh**ter Zarse.  Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:20:34 pm »

Having just come back from there i have to say it was the end, of the Aston Martin Vantage rally car. A spectacular spin and clouting the straw bales just up from me meant it looked very second hand. They captured it on tv so wait for highlights Grin

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:28:09 pm »

I am deeply saddened by you news Mr Zarse, My nice friends at the Times kindly sent me some privilege tickets for today but due to my social calendar being rather full I was unable to avail myself.
Cold Larger and Cider may suffice for the minions at footie but at Goodwood, good gracious whatever next. Are you sure the yobs without shirts and in football shirts weren’t some helpers taking advantage of Lord Freddie’s offer of some refreshment before being taken back to their quarters.
As for the weather my dear, I afraid we all must get close to some at some time, where was your man with the Brolly, you know the cheeky fellow with the fetching leather attire?
Ah well, time for Tiffin, Toot Toot as they say in the Automobile circles.
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 09:19:59 pm »

Thanks for the update Andy, I had always thought that Goodwood was above my station so had given it a miss for fear of being birched and run out of town. 
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 09:35:39 pm »

To use your own words if I may, What on earth is the world coming to!

I am now pleased that i was unable to use the free tickets I was offered as my hectic work schedule did not permit.

It must have been horrid to see such heathen behaving in such a manner at this type of event. Christ knows, next year there will probably be unidentifiable bare chested men wearing masks, capes and vulgar underpants.

My mother can have my tickets next year.

With regard to the tradespersons vans littering the carpark, one imagines they must have been abandoned by a passing group of gypsies. One would hope so!

Ta ta

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:38:10 pm »

You old bullsh**ter Zarse.  Grin

No Steve, it's all true!!!  Same old cars, same old drivers, and football shirt wielding youths swilling lager.  I was as outraged as Andy.

Mostly though I'm still trying to get my head around the skate ramps.  WTF!!! Huh Huh Huh

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 10:17:53 pm »

Just as well my free tickets only arrived in this mornings mail then (we have pigeon post here).

I'm now devastated that I missed the same old same old as in previous years.
Champagne bar still bloody expensive?

Steve East Anglian cobras

Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 11:53:39 pm »

Having "conveniently" engineered a meeting in Bognor Regis at 9am this morning, I then toddled along to Goodwood to enjoy another Festival of Speed. Not having been for a couple of years, I have to say I was very disappointed, the event isn't like it used to be.

Firstly, the event has grown much bigger than previously, and it's much more commercial. There's corporate sponsorship everywhere, even the classic car concours is sponsored by Cartier. It never used to be like this, not back in the good old days. I was similarly disappointed that you can't get so close to the track as you used to be able to see the cars. Actually this doesn't matter so much as I've already seen most of this year's cars at Goodwood over the years. You'd think they'd be able to get something new for us to look at, I'm sick of bloody Group C, F1 and this years Le Mans winning cars are always there, Audi and Aston this time. I've just watched them all bloody weekend, what the hell do I want to see them again for?  And they can stick their CanAm cars too. Sad As for the drivers, well Dullsville AZ, Attwood, Bell, Moss, Mass, Andretti, Fittipaldi, Mikkola, Hamilton, Hill, Hopkirk, I could go on, but they're all old hat has-beens, get someone else for God's sake!

I was also appalled by some of the people who attended. There were some awful people drinking near a bar (which have proliferated by the way) and they had no shirts on. They seemed quite roudy, I'm sure they'd been drinking lager. I mean, why is cold lager and cider on sale at Goodwood? I was aghast! I also saw some rough looking fellows with football shirts on! They looked as if they might be common, as there were some tradesmens vans in the carpark. What on earth is the world coming to? It's just more lowered standards, we'll sink into a mass of chavs, benefits cheques and White Lightening Cider at this rate.

As for the weather, it's a disgrace too. It rained for a while, maybe 15 mins and this ruinned my day as I had no jacket or brolly with me. It's all Lord March's fault and no mistake.

Anyway, the price of the tickets is ridiculous (free) as is the car parking (free) and the shuttle buses (free), all in all a complete let down and a waste of my day. I won't be going next year.  Angry Sad

Wink

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 02:00:23 pm »

Having just come back from there i have to say it was the end, of the Aston Martin Vantage rally car. A spectacular spin and clouting the straw bales just up from me meant it looked very second hand. They captured it on tv so wait for highlights Grin

Well pissed off that I had to miss it. Could not get the time off work in the end, but pleased to say my tickets found a home with a mates father in law.

The Aston crash seems to have been a bit more serious than first thought. Someone got hit in the face by debis from the car or a post and had to be carted off by the medics it seems.

I expect he debris fence supplers are busy warming thier machines. Roll Eyes

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 08:58:44 pm »

but you can still get up behind the bikes in the paddock, and that for me is worth the entry fee.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 10:16:54 pm »

Heres the  Aston crash Shocked Shocked
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kfvYP3WEULA

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: