Club Arnage
June 28, 2024, 10:56:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More earthworks at LM  (Read 41109 times)
Fax
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2006, 08:49:32 pm »

Just took a look at the latest aerial photos.
I don't think there's anything left to said...
R.I.P Circuit de la Sarthe
Fax
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:55:25 pm by Fax » Logged
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2006, 08:58:12 pm »

Looking at that arial pic it makes me wonder if there will be a village at all this year.

Changes to the track are as expected, I'll make sure I'll bring my wire cutter to cut down the fencing for some decent pics. Note to self, buy bigger telelens!!!

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2006, 10:50:30 am »

Le Mans is only ever as good as your first visit and surely we all look back on that as the best ever. My first time was in 1991 and I have been back every year except one. There are those that use this forum who go back way before me, (Delboy and Big H , to name a couple), who will proberbly say that by 1991 the circuit was already ruined. Restricted access to the pits, chicanes on the Mulsanne, debris fencing and viewing areas further from the action etc. I could never imagine that it could have been any better cos I had never seen it any better.

My point is, when I first went I thought Le Mans was the pinnacle of motor racing experiences and couldn't be any better. Anyone going for the first time this year and has obviesly never seen the circuit, pits and village as were, will think as I did and love it. They will most probebly go back every year and think back on the 2000s as the halcyon days.

By the look of the photos the changes are for the worst, but there is precious little that we or any other paying punter can do to to influence to relentless changes. Sure, a lot of them are safety related but the modern construction of the cars makes them tougher and therefor safer for the drivers and as far as spectator areas being moved back, if the debris fencing is as tough as they make out then I see no reason why the spectators can't be closer.

But lets face it, no matter what the ACO do to wreck the experience it will not stop us from going back every year and enjoying every minute.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:09:42 am by BOB U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Fax
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2006, 02:00:09 pm »

All of this construction at the Dunlop Chicane begs the question...WHY! Did they feel the cars weren't going slow enough?
Everytime I've been there and watched (from what seems like 500 yards away) the start from the Dunlop Curve I've wanted to burst out laughing at the sight of the entire field crawling virtually to a stop, its fricking embarrassing.  This is the opening lap of the greatest motor race in the world and it starts with a traffic gridlock?...Thrill a minute stuff there Roll Eyes
I just don't get it!  Somebody please enlighten me because I'm clearly missing something about this.  I really feel sorry for the poor bastard who goes for the first time and actually thinks that this is the coolest thing they've ever seen, because they've been completely screwed.
Fax
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2006, 02:05:25 pm »

According to their website, the reconfiguration is because the MotoGP bikes are too fast at that point on the track.  Heaven forbid a temporary chicane be constructed for that weekend, I guess.

All of this construction at the Dunlop Chicane begs the question...WHY! Did they feel the cars weren't going slow enough?
Everytime I've been there and watched (from what seems like 500 yards away) the start from the Dunlop Curve I've wanted to burst out laughing at the sight of the entire field crawling virtually to a stop, its fricking embarrassing.  This is the opening lap of the greatest motor race in the world and it starts with a traffic gridlock?...Thrill a minute stuff there Roll Eyes
I just don't get it!  Somebody please enlighten me because I'm clearly missing something about this.  I really feel sorry for the poor bastard who goes for the first time and actually thinks that this is the coolest thing they've ever seen, because they've been completely screwed.
Fax

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Fax
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2006, 02:16:05 pm »

We've brought this up before, if they feel the bikes are travelling too quickly through there (last time I checked, my Kawasaki had a throttle & brakes to control that sort of thing) they could build a bypass chicane, like they did at Road Atlanta.  Why f**k things up for the cars as well?
Fax
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2006, 02:25:46 pm »

They did the same thing for the bikes at Road America, putting "the bend" in just before the kink.

Ah, what do we know, anyway?  Roll Eyes

they could build a bypass chicane, like they did at Road Atlanta.  Why f**ck things up for the cars as well?
Fax

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Fax
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2006, 02:36:24 pm »

At Mid-Ohio the bikes, karts and club cars use the inner loop chicane on the run up to the Keyhole. The pro cars pass it.  This isn't rocket science folks.
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2006, 03:09:42 pm »

I wonder if the motive is guilt.  They've destroyed the esses as the entry is now at an angle, so they've decided to replace them at Dunlop.  Why dp they keep doing this -look at SIlverstone.  Its like the boy who gets more track for his scalextrix every birthday/xmas so adds a bit on.  Its not an improvement. 

Are Audi paying for it, this is the usual trick to try and keep the lap record; hence Ford Chichane/ Porsche Curves

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2006, 03:24:54 pm »

Just took a look at the latest aerial photos.

Holy Mackerel!!
RIP indeed. It looks to me like it's probably a good time to be a gravel salesman in Le Mans. How much of the stuff will they be putting down between the fence and the track? Are they expecting Thrust 2 up the pits straight?
Maybe it's another campsite.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2006, 03:35:30 pm »

It appears something similar to what I've seen at a local level.  Somebody has to run motorsport.  The drivers/teams are too busy so the local meglomaniac appears, takes control and ruins it.  Guess who I'm talking about. 

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: