Club Arnage
June 25, 2024, 07:42:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motor racing picture galleries  (Read 3931 times)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2005, 07:22:49 pm »

Just lifted from another web site I frequent...an interesting collection of thousands of old motor racing pics.

http://tinyurl.com/52m53

The Klemantaski Collection is one of the world’s largest and most varied libraries of historic motor sports photography. The Collection supplies its images to photograph and car collectors and enthusiasts, racing car restorers, authors and publishers worldwide.
Fax
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 07:46:29 pm »

Oh yeah...
I'm a pretty visitor to the Klementaski collection (or more to the point, Nigel Snowden's collection)  They have a staggering collection of negs from which prints can be made.  Download the venue list and see what I mean.  They purchased the complete archives of Nigel Snowden and Diana Burnett who photographed the era dearest to my heart (the seventies and early eighties) and I've got more than a few of their originals in my collection.  Probably the nicest one is a hand print of a photo of Ronnie Peterson taken by Snowden at Monza the morning of his accident.
It was the shot used by Autocourse for his obituary.
Fax
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 10:42:20 am »

Ooh yeah! I had the joy of sifting thru some of the Klementaski collection when I was working with Michael Keyser on "French Kiss With Death". Great stuff!!  Grin
Fax
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 01:42:19 pm »

In that post of mine I meant to say I'm a pretty regular visitor...I'm not very pretty.
Fax
Fax
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 04:28:57 pm »

Rick, So you helped out with French Kiss huh?
Very nice book, but good grief what a stupid name for it!
What the hell was Keyser thinking?
Fax
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 10:28:18 am »

Ah, it wasn't Michael's title, I think it was a working title for the film or Mr McQueen referred to it as such when the post-production was becoming a nightmare or something like that. Mr Club Arnage (Dave, are you there???) also helped out loads and could probably recall the exact reason behind the title.

As for my contribution to the book, just take a look at the last line of page 451  Grin
Fax
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 01:50:05 pm »

Hi Rick,
That would make more sense, I thought Keyser was just trying to come up with some kind of clever title.  His other book The Speed Merchants is a thing of beauty too.  I've got one of the original copies, in fact it was one of the first motor racing books my parents ever bought me.  Interesting that Chad McQueen does some SCCA club racing and at the Runoffs last autumn at Mid Ohio he was approached by a buddy of mine here in town about rounding up all of the old film shot for the movie and releasing a DVD of just the racing footage, guess it kind of caught his interest, we'll see if anything comes of it.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 05:10:58 pm »

Not a gallery but a link to the Atlas Fourm, these 2 threads, Track and paddock are a wonderful collection of photos, mainly from the 70's taken by punters, but the images and memories are superb.
http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74567

http://forums.atlasf1.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31078

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 05:46:45 pm »

Some truely excellent racing pictures in there, Nordic. Especially the ones from Smarjoram in the middle of page 3 on the first thread, truely exceptional stuff. Take a look at his PBase site for more. I have see his LM Classic pictures before but can't remember where.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 05:52:11 pm »

Hgb,
I have put a link to Smarjoram photos on here before. He also posts on 10/10ths as well.

The quality of his work is amazing.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 06:04:30 pm »

Blimey O'Reilly! there's some great pix there! - look at that grain! you can almost smell the HP5.
Note the traditional light blue overalls, worn by a lot of the drivers in the sixties. There was a bunch of bandits at Silverstone ELMS this year selling reproduction ones. They looked sort of ok, in a cheap way, with a lot of loose threads and dodgy seams. But I rather fancied myself in a set as a pair of pyjamas, just imagine cleaning your teeth in them and then leaping into bed to wait for the starters orders. On enquiry, I found the buggers wanted £220!!
I'll have to stay with the rubber vest and prosthetics for a bit longer I suppose.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
John Thawley

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 05:12:06 am »

We have launched a new online gallery that may be of interest to you. It's called Wheels On Walls and apporaches motorsport photography as true art. It features the work of 18 photographers... contemporary and from the past. Please stop by http://www.wheelsonwalls.com

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: