Club Arnage
September 25, 2024, 03:41:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big fences at the Ford Chicane :O(  (Read 9864 times)
SpriteII
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 11:58:57 pm »

My suspicion might be that this idea originated not at the ACO but from the lawyers at their insurance company.

This is so daft when we all accept liability by buying a ticket.

The modern world I'm afraid, thank god for Goodwood.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 12:36:20 am »

Know wot ya mean Fax and still can't believe I have let another year slip by in my ever-shortening life (we're not getting any younger ya know!) without making it to Sebring! Better make it soon before this fence disease makes it across the pond.

Just putting my rose tinted specs on for a mo', picture the scene. Just 17, 1981, long haired skinny fecker embarking on the necessities in life (like my first Lemons trip) and the first time I see the cars is on that run down from the old Dunlop bridge into the Esses. That year I only had the basic "corners" ticket and it wasn't until my 18th (slap bang in the middle of my A levels) that I experienced the main area. To my horror, the pit straight was fenced, but not the Dunlop curve (AWESOME!!!). Few years later the pit straight fence disappeared for many years only to return with feckin avengence in the 90s. Bugger. Been downhill ever since.

It's enuff to drive a man to applying for a press pass again!! But it seems even now, that means diddly at the Ford Chickens. They will be stopping us shooting at Arnage next!!! Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!
Dan Lowe
CA Veteran

www.24hourlemons.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 01:37:46 am »

Heres a thought.... I wonder how many more lives you'd save if you took all the money ploughed into putting up fences everywhere and instead donated that to a charity such as red nose day/unicef/oxfam??

Fences : More harm than good

24 hour lemons - Lemons by name, Lemons by nature
Fax
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2005, 06:36:46 am »

Rick,
I can't describe in words how jealous I am that you were able to see the great race back in the early eighties, especially 1981!  Alot of people were ready to write that year off as a transition year between the end of the Group 6 era and the beginning of Group C. However I was thrilled when at the last minute Porsche decided to enter the pair of 936/81's.  I remember very well what it was like all weekend trying to find news of what was happening at the Sarthe, pre-internet and cable TV, I was left with little clips in the local newspaper.  On Monday morning when I found out Jacky & Derek had won I was absolutely over the moon.
I badgered my local news agent for three weeks until the LM issue of Autosport arrived with the headline "Le Mans, Jacky does it!"  with the photo of the lovely, white Jules 936 exiting Mulsanne corner (still have it to this day).
I was even more hellish for T.E.Warth Motorbooks until the 1981 annual arrived.  It was better than Christmas, the day it arrived on my doorstep.  Oh well, those were the days.  Rick, get your ass over here for Sebring!  But trust me, it will never become the fenced-in, gravel-trapped, chicaned mess that the Circut de la Sarthe has become.
Fax
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 10:00:03 pm »

as a safety rep i have done a quick (90sec) risk assessment to support the extra fence.
Hazards
damage to second fence
injury to drivers pulling off into new layby for a quick waz!

it will soon be hard to watch the race, you will be going to watch that the fences dont get damaged. whats to say they wont make them taller at the grandstand area to enable spectators to see more fencing craftsmanship....... can someone convince the ACO that not all cars have mercedes potential!

Andy
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 11:58:00 pm »

I do have the feeling that the fences may well be sponsored by the Le Mans centre of commerce and round table to promote there own interests rather than those of others.
All power to the fences I say. It will remove that very thin veil of an excuse that we are actually going to spend a week watching motorsport rather than getting blind drunk and having a ball.

Debate.

Rusty

The Brethren Rock
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 09:47:35 am »

I do have the feeling that the fences may well be sponsored by the Le Mans centre of commerce and round table to promote there own interests rather than those of others.
All power to the fences I say. It will remove that very thin veil of an excuse that we are actually going to spend a week watching motorsport rather than getting blind drunk and having a ball.

Debate.

Rusty

Rusty - Debate?   From personal recollection, the Brethren are singularly shining and exemplary paragons of using the thin tissue-like excuse of watching motorsport to get over to France and have a ball - if you didn't do that, you might just as well gather and put up tents in the car park of your local Tesco.   No contest really.......
 Grin
Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 10:01:50 am »

Except the booze in Tesco is double the price!!  Grin
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 10:09:45 am »

While i deplore the erection of  yet more fences, I have a feeling that the ACO may have had there hand forced a little on this.

As with the mutluation of the esses a few years back it has more to do with the moto gp and the fact that the short track rejoins the main track. There was a need to increase the runoff so the whole lot has been pushed back.

Fax,
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p2767294.html
Mr Bell in the 936 in 81 at the chicane. Not as good as Rick's, but its the best I could do!
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p2767311.html
Looking up the track from the chicane.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 01:24:15 pm »

Thats strange for Moto GP as this is the slowest corner on the lap for them too Huh

Take life by the horns and live it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: