Club Arnage
June 26, 2024, 03:39:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Kent  (Read 13443 times)
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 08:49:58 pm »

What I didn't mention was that there was also a Triton and a Trident making up the motley crew. Of course we broke down!
Triton suffered a puncture on the way down that ended up with an invite to the Liseux MC club meeting. I have photos of our time in there but little recollection.
On the way back my bike suffered a coil failure ( No smutty jokes please!) and ran the last 100miles back to Le Havre with both spark plugs connected to the one remaining coil.

Next year should see me back on two wheels on a Guzzi.

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 08:31:26 pm »

Quite funny seeing all the 40 year old wrinkly divorcees trying to get it on with their old flames, who are now only interested in their daughters  Grin

Glad it's not just me then!! (Although I am still married  Wink )

Sounds like you are of similar vintage to a large contingent of the CAers. A whole raft of us have recently passed the "double top" milestone  Grin with myself actually achieving said mark at Le Mans itself last year (on the Sunday).

Used to make the occasional foray over Bromley/Chislehurst way (had a couple of mates based at the Acquila MOD place) but could never remember any pub names! (Always a sign of a good night!!). Do remember a particularly wintry/cold night and a long post-pub walk to a kebab house which ended up in a collapsed heap in some strange bloke's front garden!

Those were the days....

18 Le mans? Very impressive! Is that in a row or spread over the years? My first was 1981 which was on my 17th b'day (best present I ever gave myself!) and have only missed one year since in 1985 (long story and still hurts too much to think I missed one!!).

Aha! As I suspected. Yes I passed the magic "DoubleTop" back in April this year  Embarrassed

I am pretty sure I have made that same long walk as well, in fact did we possibly meet in that chaps front garden? Not that i would remember anyway  Cheesy

18 on the trot! First trip was the summer of 87. A neighbor of mine had gone a couple of times with his father, who was suddenly unable to go, so I was asked if I was interested. This was on a wednesday night, and the following morning there I was in my mates Stag driving down to Dover. No messing around with bookings back then! Drive to Dover, buy a ferry ticket, drive down through France, stop in Bernay at a petrol station and buy the tickets (yep you could buy the lot, entry, camping and grandstand back then) then on to the camp site. I've been going ever since.

Over the years, it has grown from just two of us sleeping under the car (my original companion now no longer comes, but I am hoping to take his son this year), to up to 20 people with everything including the kitchen sink!! The only rules I now have, are that there can only be a maximum of two people in a car (spreads the luggage, and leaves room for emergencies), and the car/driver is able to keep up with the rest of the group.

I must say, I do miss the old roads down through Abbeville, Rouen, Bernay and Alencon. I really don't think it is any faster now they are plastering the route with dual-carriageway, and I am dreading to see what they have done this year south of Rouen. Traffic was an absolute nightmare on the return journey this year, all due to them starting to dig the place up.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 08:54:44 pm »

Grin Small world eh?

Given the amount of similarities, guess our paths might have crossed over the years!!

Must meet up for a beer or ten (shampoo bar on Saturday night would be good I guess, with all the other CA reprobates) to relive old haunts etc....

I finally made the Sat. nite CA revelry at the aforementioned bar after many years in the press room and being far too sensible - but this year I made up for 6 years of sobriety in one hit! Bottle of Spanish brandy to blame....  Lips Sealed

Our posse varies from year to year but we always seem to have a virgin. This year, our LM virgin will be 73 years young! Likes his ale and malt and still a damn fine racing cyclist (how we met). Last year, tow mates came just for my 40th having no interest in the racing and loved it so much they're both coming back again! I did warn them it's addictive .... wonder if Le Mans has ever been cited in divorce proceedings as a "mistress"Huh  Grin
Black Granny
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 09:05:34 pm »

Grin Small world eh?
.. wonder if Le Mans has ever been cited in divorce proceedings as a "mistress"Huh  Grin

Funny you should mention that. It wasn't quite put as a "mistress" but my annual trip away was cited in the proceedings, even though the woman in question had made a few trips with me in the early years!
Hope to bring my son next year which should put her nose out of joint somewhat!

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 09:12:33 pm »

Funny you should mention that. It wasn't quite put as a "mistress" but my annual trip away was cited in the proceedings, even though the woman in question had made a few trips with me in the early years!
Hope to bring my son next year which should put her nose out of joint somewhat!

Sorry to hear about that BG, but good work on bringing the lad! Grin My darling spouse came in 1990-92 just to make sure I wasn't "playing away", then got "oop duff like" and hasn't been since. Has also been brought up in many subsequent rows about my selfish week away etc... Guess we're not the only ones!
Black Granny
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 09:16:43 pm »

Sorry to hear about that BG, but good work on bringing the lad! Grin My darling spouse came in 1990-92 just to make sure I wasn't "playing away", then got "oop duff like" and hasn't been since. Has also been brought up in many subsequent rows about my selfish week away etc... Guess we're not the only ones!

No problem. New partner is very understanding and may be able to join us in a few years when her daughter is olod enough to leave for a few days.
My oldest is 16 next year and if he has finished his GCSE's by the 14 or 15th June he should be able to come over. He's got a skid lid for riding pillion1
(which will also p**s his mother off -Great!)

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 09:20:25 pm »

and if he has finished his GCSE's by the 14 or 15th June

I went to Le Mans in 1982 right in the middle of my A level exams - mind you that might go some way to explaining why I failed two of them! Hey-ho, it was worth it to see Dinger and Mr. Ickx lead those Rothmans Porsches home 1-2-3 and to get my photo in the Grand Prix International special edition mag!!  Grin
Black Granny
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 09:27:01 pm »

and if he has finished his GCSE's by the 14 or 15th June

I went to Le Mans in 1982 right in the middle of my A level exams - mind you that might go some way to explaining why I failed two of them! Hey-ho, it was worth it to see Dinger and Mr. Ickx lead those Rothmans Porsches home 1-2-3 and to get my photo in the Grand Prix International special edition mag!!  Grin

In '85 I set off on the Wednesday evening from Portsmouth after finishing my professional exams in London at 6pm that afternoon. I failed that one but passed on the re-sit. My A- levels were a good few years earlier.( Another 2-wheeled year- 1000cc Moto Guzzi)

I hear that some invoices from the ACO are arriving- still waiting and hoping for mine!

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 09:40:04 pm »

Ooh yeah, got my invoice on Monday - better get that paid and back!  Grin

Still makes me larf, every year I put in my request on the Monday after the race and every year I try to change it and every year it is the same as it was about 10 years ago!! Think I'll give up and just accept it! Bless 'em....
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 09:41:16 pm »

Ooh, just realised that this little banter has finally taken me past the magic "mille" mark! Must remember next time I'm in Sainsbury's to get myself a life!!!  Wink
Black Granny
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 09:46:51 pm »

Ooh yeah, got my invoice on Monday - better get that paid and back!  Grin

Still makes me larf, every year I put in my request on the Monday after the race and every year I try to change it and every year it is the same as it was about 10 years ago!! Think I'll give up and just accept it! Bless 'em....

thet somehow mange to loose mine and bug*er it up, so I end up with frantic E-mails and trying to get the camping tickets I really wanted and sell the ones allocated to me which are for a site somewhere near Marseille.

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: