Club Arnage
June 30, 2024, 06:59:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spare a thought for Matt  (Read 2967 times)
Fax
« on: September 27, 2004, 03:21:52 am »

As if the hurricane's in Florida havent inflicted enough misery!  Matt Harper, being a thoroughly good man and responsible husband & father had to leave the Petit Le Mans just an hour into the race and drive seven hours back home to Orlando to look after his family and home when it became obvious that hurricane Jeanne had placed a bullseye on O-town.   Really stinks that he drove all the way up to Road Atlanta just to have to turn around and head back but its decisions as those that really show what sort of character a man is made of.  As for the Petit?  It was obviously more subdued for Dave and I but the race was entertaing enough even if the outcome was entirely predictable.  It was disappointing to hear Johnny Herbert pissing & moaning, blaming a backmarker for his throwing the Audi into the gravel while leading near the end of the race.  I saw the epsiode right in front of me and the lapped car was completely innocent, Johnny just became indecisive while overtaking, left his braking too late and beached it, simple as that.  I expect lame excuses and finger pointing from lesser men than Johnny.
John
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 06:11:48 am »

My thoughts go out to matt - he is about 20 mins away from us here in Kissimme - the storm was violent and extremely wet - i really really hope the house he lives in is OK and that his family are unharmed.

Things are a bit odd here - this is the sunshine state - yet so far this trip we have seen Rain, rain, hurricane, tropical storm and rain......I'll never complain about english weather again.

The one thing that strikes me though is how well organised the commuunity is - information constantly on the TV being Simulcast on the radio so that when the power goes out you can still hear the info at least - the comradery between floridians is something the US should be proud of, and as for the resiliance of the buildings - well Im certainly thankful for that.

Good luck to anyone that is here - and if any of you want a CA meet in Kissimme - the pool is useable, theres plenty of space and we have power - just call us on 407 396 8616!

Brad

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 10:22:56 am »

I just saw the devastation on the morning TV news... not good at all.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 08:16:25 pm »

Yup, it's all getting a bit old now. It was very difficult to wrench myself out of that folding chair, overlooking the Road Atlanta sweepers, flanked by Fax and Dave H (and R2D2, stuffed to the gunnels with ice cold Guinness) to hammer back south on I-75 into the teeth of yet another f**k*ng hurricane. Oh well, the previous night on the cack was some compensation - always the business to do pleasure with you guys.
The storm is now passed, the sun is out again and eveything is reverting to normal. We got another kicking from it - more damage to the roof, trees and fenceline, but no injuries or major destruction in my neighborhood.
Brad, the remainder of your holiday should be trouble-free, from a weather perspective. Many thanks for your very kind offer of assistance - that was a wonderful gesture. So much so that I'd like to buy you a pint or two, while you're over here - if you have the time or inclination. My cell # is 321. 231. 8188. If you'd like to get together give me a call - I don't want to impose on yours and your family's vacation, by intrusive calls to you. I completely understand, if you're busy doing other things.
Thanks again for the offer - you're clearly good people.
Regards
Matt

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 07:11:35 am »

Matt, is good to hear that you and your family are OK hopfully things will calm down abit for you now, you've certainly taken a battering!
Brad and Caroline are ther on their own, so I am sure they will be in touch.
Fax
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 02:09:44 pm »

Matt,
Glad to hear that everything's still standing, you've got one tough house there, its taken a hell of a battering lately.  Is the Sho-Boat still upright?  I've got all of your Corvette Corral registration stuff from the Petit (badge, stickers, etc.) I'll send those down to ya.
John
critchetti
CA Veteran

Racing 24 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 08:30:04 pm »

Hey Matt, glad to hear everthing is ok. Been looking around your old stomping ground at property, some nice places on high ground, i'll send over the yorks post property pages, the prices are so ridiculously funny it'll take take your mind off the crap weather youre having to put up with.

Racing 24 7
2005 Caterham Roadsports B
No 24
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 11:47:54 pm »

Hi John
Don't fret, The Sho Boat Tavern is still standing and the regular assortment of drunken rednecks and bikers are still frequenting this auspicious establishment. The roof is somewhat battered, but other than that, it's pissiness as usual. Thank you for rescuing my Corvette Corral paperwork from the renter - I still owe you for the race ticket and parking pass - I'll mail you a check.
Hi Andrew
Thanks for the good wishes - I was sorry to learn that you had a coming together with the guard-rail at Mallory - hopefully it wasn't too costly an off. Baildon is a great place to live (if you can put up with a Bradford postcode) - I'm aware that the property prices have escalated somewhat, since I shipped out - I regret not hanging onto my gaff and renting it - but I needed the cash out of it at the time. It's a nice village (suburb) with 3 top class boozers and the annual Harley rally in the summer.
To everyone else - thanks once again for all your thoughtful postings and PM's. I think we've done with the crappy weather here for another 40 years or so and it's now back to regular scorchio.
Missing out on The Petit Le Mans was a pisser - but there's plenty more to look forward to.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: