Club Arnage
June 25, 2024, 09:20:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I've got a free week in Europe and a 911, where do I go?  (Read 6108 times)
mdt
CA Veteran

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2004, 02:40:13 am »

Some of you might recall that I'm coming along to Le Mans for the first time this year from Australia and that a couple of weeks beforehand, I'm going to the Monaco GP.

Well, in order to stave off the boredom between these two reasons for the trip (not into galleries), my friend and I have decided to hire a 911 for a week.

Now we want to start to plan the trip. Our first preference was the Nurburgring, but presumably because of the preparations for the 24 hour race (which is on at the same time as LM Sad), the track is rarely open in late May/early June and so we've had to think of other things.

The Stelvio pass sounds good, any other suggestions?

What about motorsport events on the weekend of 29/30 May or 5/6 June? Better still, where can we find a calender with events to choose from?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 02:44:58 am by mdt » Logged
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 12:09:05 pm »

Why not go " touring " on the 911. some of the best biking roads are in France. The pyrenees and Green Spain ( Picos de Europe ) are fantastic.

I have some route cards if you fancy it.

Take life by the horns and live it.
RS2 Babe
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 02:26:35 pm »

Me and Mr RS2 could offer accommodation in lovely Brittany which does have some fantastic roads for fast driving if you can fit that into your plans.

We are near to Dol de Bretagne and le Mans is about 2.5 hours away (normal driving) but we have done it in a lot less with a Porsche tweeked Audi engine.

all the best anyway and see you at the race

RS2 Babe
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 03:14:56 pm »

Wow, I want to go to the Stelvio Pass looks fun.  Now where did I put the Sud keys...

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 06:40:08 pm »

Ideas, in no particular order:

1)  Nurburgring Nordschliefe (as you say it may be shut, but do check first for availability - it is a must and dirt cheap)
2)  Spa-Francorchamps
3)  Stelvio - a must
4)  Klausen Hillclimb (Switzerland)
5)  Monthlery (west of Paris)
6)  Mulhouse for the (Schlumpf museum)
7)  Modena........
Cool  Any autobahn in germany.....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 08:09:42 pm »

Passo di Stelvio is spectaclear, but so crammed with tourons, many pulling caravans, that it's not much of a challenge at walking pace.
For an eye-opener, try La Col de la Faucille in the Jurra (Franco/Swiss border, north of Geneva). Not for the faint hearted - but if you really want to scare yourself, the Hanger Lane Roundabout takes some beating.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Simes
CA Veteran

194.7bhp mmmm..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 11:27:19 pm »

For an eye-opener, try La Col de la Faucille in the Jurra (Franco/Swiss border, north of Geneva). Not for the faint hearted - but if you really want to scare yourself, the Hanger Lane Roundabout takes some beating.

I've done Col de la Faucille but sadly I was only 10 at the time and we were towing a caravan.
  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

mdt
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 11:57:45 pm »

Terrific stuff, keep the ideas coming. Smiley

Thanks for the offer of accommodation RS2 Babe, but I suspect we will be heading towards the Alps. I reckon we will be trying to get a couple of laps of the Ring in, even if we can't spend the day there.

Tell me more about the Col de la Faucille. It won't be snowing in May will it? Or is it not that high? I would love to go through the Swiss Alps. I went backpacking to St Moritz when I was a wee laddy and will never forget the train trip up through the mountains as long as I live.
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 12:30:14 am »

Me and Mr RS2 could offer accommodation in lovely Brittany which does have some fantastic roads for fast driving if you can fit that into your plans.

We are near to Dol de Bretagne and le Mans is about 2.5 hours away (normal driving) but we have done it in a lot less with a Porsche tweeked Audi engine.

all the best anyway and see you at the race

RS2 Babe

Lisa, how are you going to fit us all in,as we the Liverpool boys have first call on your place, 2.5 hrs on a scooter lets see ay babe.
Luv as always.
Brian.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
MrRS2babe
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 09:59:26 am »

plenty of space......we've got quite a few barns you know!!

We're thinking in years to come offering it is a Club Arnage "drying out centre" before everyone heads back home !! or perhaps we should do it the other way round and hold a LM drinking practice the weekend before heading down to La Sarthe??
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 10:28:38 am »

plenty of space......we've got quite a few barns you know!!

We're thinking in years to come offering it is a Club Arnage "drying out centre" before everyone heads back home !! or perhaps we should do it the other way round and hold a LM drinking practice the weekend before heading down to La Sarthe??

The LM drinking practice sounds nice to me...
... and I'ld be able to drive a little north to join you.

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 11:43:00 am »

If you are going to Monaco for the GP, don't forget all the wonderful Monte Carlo rally territory there  Grin Grin

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 04:21:39 pm »

Tell me more about the Col de la Faucille. It won't be snowing in May will it? Or is it not that high? I would love to go through the Swiss Alps.

Col de la Faucille is not in the Swiss alps. It is in the Jurra Range which is a belt of mountains north of Lake Geneva in southern/central France. there are some spectacular roads in the Jurra, but the weather can get seriously gnarly, very quickly, so care is required, particularly on unprotected (no guardrail) roads. La Col is the pass up into the range from Fernay Voltaire - just west of Geneva on RN5.
It is very, very steep in places, with numerous switchbacks (though nothing as wonderfully engineered as Stelvio, Brenner or Susten). It climbs through a forest, with some superb views of Lac Leman and Mont Blanc in the distance and has a ski resort at the peak, with some great restaurants and stunning views, in all directions. There could well be snow on the ground in May, at the top.
It is a challenging road (tougher descending), but a lot of fun, if not too busy.
My brother Dave H has CYCLED up the damn thing (bet he couldn't do it now, eh Dave?)
Hope this helps.  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 04:38:23 pm »

I've done some decent ascents in my time, but the Col de la Faucille certainly put some hurt on me.  I'll never forget forging ahead and a distant rider getting closer and closer.  Finally he caught my wheel and powered past.  As I looked over my shoulder I realized I was being doomed by what I would guess to be about an 80 year old wirey little fella on a Bianci who clearly did this ride daily.  Jesus.

Needless to say, my descent was a little bit more fun.

That would have been a hell of a road to take a porker on.  Pretty good forward visibility - little bit too tight in places to really get into the gas though.
RS2 Babe
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 12:02:41 am »

I just wanted a go of the 911 - the guys would most certainly have been in one of our barns and the car in bed with me Tongue

My name has to change soon from RS2 Babe (being as the 'big' car is AV)so all the Porsche influence in the cars I drive will have 'disparoo'

PLEASE TAKE ME WITH YOU

or else just collect me for a spin outside MB on Friday at 3

RS2 Babe
 Kiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: