Club Arnage
October 06, 2024, 10:17:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering 6 June 1944  (Read 6898 times)
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 06:40:41 pm »

Big one for us next year in Guernsey, May 9th - 70th anniversary of our liberation from occupied forces.

Each year the 9th is a public holiday for us.

>Martini...LB
Did the war tunnels in Jersey last month and it had the dates of the Channel Isles occupation painted on the walls which eerily coincided (apart from the year) with both my offsprings birthdates.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 06:53:24 pm »

Over here a great deal of attention is being paid to remembering the landings, and drops.  TV programs all day and night to recall the events of seventy years ago.  I'm off work today (just returned from visiting the in-laws in Detroit) and will spend the day watching Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, and the D-Day specials airing all over the various networks and cable channels.
My grandfather was badly wounded in the fight for Iwo Jima, injuries he never fully recovered from, and my great uncle perished in the Battle of Okinawa.  Obviously both battles of the Pacific campaign, but I still feel a great deal of pride & honor for our military forces, past, and present on a day like today.
Fax
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:54:56 pm by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 10:02:50 pm »

Love the story about the veteran who was told he couldn't go by his nursing home.
Absconded and was found in France!
Kiters

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 11:12:59 am »

We will be calling in to a small cemetery in BANNEVILLE-LA-CAMPAGNE

It's a war grave cemetery mostly for the chaps that were killed around the battle for Caen and the Falaise Gap which is where my wife's uncle was killed. Seeing that it is the 70th anniversary feels like the right thing to do rather that our usual LM homeward trip to Pegasus bridge. Have not told the group yet but sure they will be up for it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: