Club Arnage
June 24, 2024, 02:05:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jabby Crombac  (Read 4044 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2005, 09:20:27 am »

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15940.html

Some sad news.
Jabby Crombac Autosport's first grand prix correspondent and leading motorsport writer (he was also the man who help Steve McQueen put togeather the film Le Mans) has passed away.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 05:24:19 pm »

Very, very sad news indeed.  I always considered he, Jenks, Barry Gill, and Pete Lyons the big four of motor racing journalist.  Jabby's contribution to the sport has been enormous.  He was trusted and became close friends with all the greats.  He was an integral part of the Shell and Pilote Elf selection programs which produced the likes of Francois Cevert, Patrick Depailler, Alain Prost, Didier Pironi, Rene Arnoux, Patrick Tambay, etc.  The motor racing writers of today are a poor imitation of these great men.  Fortunately they will always live on in their reports and opinions put to paper.
Fax
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 07:36:05 pm »

Very, very sad news indeed.  I always considered he, Jenks, Barry Gill, and Pete Lyons the big four of motor racing journalist.  Jabby's contribution to the sport has been enormous.  He was trusted and became close friends with all the greats.  He was an integral part of the Shell and Pilote Elf selection programs which produced the likes of Francois Cevert, Patrick Depailler, Alain Prost, Didier Pironi, Rene Arnoux, Patrick Tambay, etc.  The motor racing writers of today are a poor imitation of these great men.  Fortunately they will always live on in their reports and opinions put to paper.
Fax

Agreed, Fax, but can we add the name of the late Henry Manney III to that list, and make it five?
RIP Jabby.

Fax
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 10:35:34 pm »

Of course, make it four.  Its well known that both Manney and Crombac were good friends of Jim Clark.  Clark and Crombac shared a Paris flat when Jim became a tax exile.
As I said, the current crop of writers are pale shadow of these greats.  Some people think Nigel Roebuck is good but I've always thought him an ego-maniacal ass kisser.  With Roebuck if your in his good graces your a god but if not your a sh*t.  He had his nose so far up GV's ass he could see daylight at the other end.
Fax
lotus49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:45:43 pm »

not sure if anyone can help - am very keen on getting hold of copy of jabby crombacs tome of all his grand prix's - it was only published in france ....
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:06:27 am »

not sure if anyone can help - am very keen on getting hold of copy of jabby crombacs tome of all his grand prix's - it was only published in france ....

I have been hoping for years that it would be translated into English and rereleased. I bet it's one he'll of a good read.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
lotus49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:50:06 pm »

updaet, nearly got a copy from a french website but they wldnt post to UK!

Am off to pAris soon so will try again

& BTW does anyone know of the address in pAris where jabby Crombac lived & where Jim Clark stayed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: