Club Arnage
September 30, 2024, 01:08:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed Machines - Ch 4 20:00 tonight 10th  (Read 3493 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2003, 06:59:54 pm »

Last weeks programme having covered Bentley and Mercedes, this evenings programme covers more motoring history.

Whilst not directly about circuit racing, this should interest those with a passion for the Land Speed Record (well me anyway).
The documentary covers the competition in the '20s and '30s between Sir Malcolm Campbell and Henry Segrave for the speed record.
The sound of huge Rolls Royce and Napier aero engines fitted to big sleak cars pounding down beaches and salt flats should be reason enough alone to set the video.

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 09:56:53 am »

And wasn't that just a grand programme?   Heady patriotic stuff when England was great.   Loads of good archive footage - some that I certainly hadn't seen before, like the attempts made on Pendine sands - and wonderful sounds.   Real hero material stuff - with an 81 litre, triple aero-engined car who needs a turbocharger and electronic engine mapping?  Grin

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 02:41:12 pm »

Yep, very interesting programme. I have to pick you up on one thing though Mark - it was not just England that was great but Britian. After all Parry-Thomas was about as Welsh as they come. I write here as an Englishman, but resident in Wales.

For anyone with a passing interest in this stuff there is a small museum at Pendine, which features a restored 'Babs' on display in the summer months. Don't ask me why only in summer - perhaps it's because no-one in their right mind visits these parts in the winter. (Except rally fans of course but they're a different race anyway....)

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 03:02:49 pm »

Sorry - unintentional slip - you are, of course absolutely right as this was pre-devolution (dare one say when Britain had an empire?   Not sure why Babs is only there in the summer months, but you may find that it doing the circuits or is on display somewhere else like Brooklands at other times.   Saw and heard the 1000hp Sunbeam running at the Weston-Super-Mare speed trials about 10 years ago - awesome!

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 08:44:45 pm »

[attachment deleted by admin - age > 25 days]

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 08:49:27 pm »

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 08:50:26 pm »

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 06:25:20 am »

Visited the museum at Pendine this year, it's free to get in, has a short film about the record attempts. Also has some motorbikes (Nortons i think) which broke records there.
Walked on the beach afterwards, highly impressive.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Chef
CA Veteran

Cooking up another llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 03:10:58 pm »

i also wne there a few years ago. was dead impressed by the steep banking. must have been scary going around that at speed. also saw an old w12 engine which they fired up. hell, was that loud. great place to go for an insite at how it used to be
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: