Club Arnage
September 23, 2024, 04:32:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Daily Sportscar subscribers here?  (Read 4746 times)
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:51:20 am »

Are any CA members subscribers of Daily Sportscar?

How do you think it's going these days?

I'm feeling slightly miffed of late. Having just renewed my annual subscription (around £30-35 if I remember rightly), only for DSC to start publishing most of the stuff I'm interested in for free. The only sub only context appears to be Industry press releases and minor race series that I don't give a boot about.

My second gripe is that it's hardly news by the time it gets on DSC. I know we live in a digital age and information and news is now much easier for us to get, but they can really be slow to get things up... For example I looked to find news on the latest Pesca saga this morning and there is nothing at all. All the other Le Mans related sites and forums have much more news on the subject.

Finally the site is a pain in the ass for smart phone users. Having to log on to view each news story is really annoying especially when you are outside wi-fi reception. I'm sure there is a simple fix for this?

I'm not moaning for the sake of moaning. I've been a user there for a good few years and have found it useful and enjoyable. I feel that the site no longer is worth the money in these tight times and I suspect others will feel the same. Maybe by voicing my opinion here someone will take note and make some changes. It would be a shame if things didn't improve it and as a result it declines further.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:53:49 pm »

I'm a subscriber, and for the money, i feel it's worth it.

The 'free stuff' is a basic coverage, your money gets you more indepth articles not available for free, like the commentary, the analysis etc, there is plenty of other stuff that the pay part covers, at least for me. The guys who write also have day jobs, so it can be tricky to balance the needs NOW! that the rise internet of the has given us to giving quality, that's just my opinion.

Re the Pesca story, it is there if you actually read it all, it just doesn't have a story to itself, it's under 'Test Day Notes'

On your phone, how come you're having to log in to see each story? What phone are you using and settings? as my iphone lets me log in once, and that's it.

Don't be afraid to voice your concerns/feeling to Graham et al, as if they don't know there is an issue, they can't do anything about it. But at a guess, this weekend won't see much of a reply i think they're a little busy Wink

Wooosh!!!!
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:54:09 am »

I was and I didn't renew.

Crouch..........bind..........set
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:19:22 am »

I am, and will remain so.

I accept that sometimes they are a little behind the times, and sometimes they just put up press releases, but the overall coverage is good, and usually a good place to start rather than searching multiple websites.
Also their journalistic articles and comments (and the odd rant) are nearly always a good read.

But like many others i do feel that having all of the free stuff on the major events does devalue the subscription, but then i guess without the advertising for the free stuff i wouldn't get the other articles as the number of subscriptions are just not enough to cover their costs!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:30:19 pm »

As an occasional (unpaid) contributor to DSC with photos and articles, I would just like to say that Graham and the boys do an incredible job given that they all work full-time elsewhere.

Yes there are other sites which are free but DSC have a certain "angle" on things which I feel no other site can offer. Very insightful stuff and the most respected website there is. Ask anyone in the pitlane; drivers, teams etc. included.

All for a tad over 60p a week. Bargain!  Grin
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:20:16 pm »

It is a great site, that is beyond dispute and I do enjoy their slant on things, but, and it's a big but, the majority of the content that I'm interested in ie Le Mans and the WEC is now free to view.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:34:03 pm »

It is a great site, that is beyond dispute and I do enjoy their slant on things, but, and it's a big but, the majority of the content that I'm interested in ie Le Mans and the WEC is now free to view.

Re Le Mans and WEC stuff, you'll find that anything outside of the event weekend is subscription, so by not subscribing you can easilly be behind in the news, or miss something, in the run up to an event.

As Rick, I have in the past contributed to them, and having gotten to know Graham and team over the years, I am fully aware of how much effort they all put in each week on top of their 9-5, and not only that, there can be a fair few bits that they hold back on aswell, where other publications perhaps just post. This has led them to be able to get more from the teams/drivers/organisers than perhaps some others can. And at 60p a week, certainly better (sportscar) value than Autosport.

Wooosh!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: