Club Arnage
July 08, 2024, 12:44:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Le Mans on tv  (Read 9279 times)
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2003, 02:17:09 pm »

Or the Irish sex instruction video, in out repeat as necessary.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2003, 10:28:53 am »

Didn't know the Swedes were into art Wink

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 01:42:06 pm »

Was a great show, thanks for teh "heads up"

I remember some years ago Rowan Atkinson doing a dramatisation on one of the Bentley Boys (Birkin?)  On BBC2 if I remember correctly - anyone else have vague reollection of it?

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 05:10:46 pm »

Mark,it was about Tim Birkin, and very good it was to.
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2003, 04:36:30 pm »

Yep Rowan played Tim. The story was some wot marred by the fact that Brooklands, Le Mans and the French GP (Riems wsent it) were all filmed from the same point at the same airfiled with the same cars.

All that lot deseve a film about them, but I guess if one was made today it would be full of American actors. Sly as "Babe" Bruce Willis as "Tim"  Clint Eastwood as WO ....... Any other offers?Huh?

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2003, 05:05:49 pm »

I thought Barnato's daughter looked very like Rick! Wink

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 05:18:59 pm »

thats a worry Andy Shocked Least I will know what to look out for next June! Saw her Barnettos daughter at Brooklands Reunion when all the Bentleys came to play.

Great footage of old LM. Mind you would not like to tryed to over take........ Birken did one of his fastest laps overtaking the Merc' with two wheels on the grass Shocked

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2003, 05:25:04 pm »

thats a worry Andy Shocked Least I will know what to look out for next June! Saw her Barnettos daughter at Brooklands Reunion when all the Bentleys came to play.

Great footage of old LM. Mind you would not like to tryed to over take........ Birken did one of his fastest laps overtaking the Merc' with two wheels on the grass Shocked

Has anyone else seen the footage of the huge highspeed car that launched itself off the banking and into the trees and general Weybridge countryside? The commentator is dead pan and says something like "Binky Clutterbuck had a prang on the fourth lap", as they were picking arms and legs out of the trees and wrapping them up in a blanket.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 06:10:23 pm »

Not seen the footage, but have seen some photos somewere, and I should know the answer to this. I think it was a Bentley and the driver one of the Bentley Boys - not Birkin he deid from blood poisoning after the Tripolli GP - its going to bug me all night now Angry

help!!!!

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 09:21:34 pm »

Has anyone else seen the footage of the huge highspeed car that launched itself off the banking and into the trees and general Weybridge countryside? The commentator is dead pan and says something like "Binky Clutterbuck had a prang on the fourth lap", as they were picking arms and legs out of the trees and wrapping them up in a blanket.

I far as I can remember, a few cars have vaulted the Members Banking or ended up in the River Wey.

I recall that one of Count Louis Zaborowski's 'Chitty Bang Bang' aero engined monsters went flying over the top once.
One of his later aero engined cars was subsequently bought by Parry Thomas, modified and renamed 'Babs'.

Babs ran successfully at Brooklands but subsequently attained notoriety on Pendine Sands in Wales on a Land Speed Record attempt.  In short, the car crashed and killed (rather gruesomely) Parry Thomas.

Babs was buried in the sand for about 50 years before being being dug out and restored to running order.  The car is certainly a monster, and makes occasional reappearances at Brooklands, along with the aero engined Napier Railton (but that's another story..............)

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: